Mayonnaise is an emulsion which means that it can be tricky to make. A hand blender will result in much less work for this recipe. Otherwise, use a hand whisk, and be prepared to whisk quickly and constantly for 8-10 minutes.
- 1 cup cannabis olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt, to taste
The following are optional ingredients that could be added for flavored aioli. Add desired amounts to taste:
- Garlic, finely chopped
- Roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- Basil, finely chopped
- Horse radish, grated
- Green chiles, finely chopped
- Cilantro, finely chopped
IMPORTANT: Add the oil very slowly at first (one drop at a time) while whisking it into the yolk constantly because the emulsion will break if the oil is added too quickly.
Separate egg yolk, add to a glass, ceramic or stainless steel mixing bowl, and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the lemon juice to the egg yolk, and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the oil one drop at a time at first, whisking constantly (or use a hand immersion blender in an up and down motion) until each drop is absorbed and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Once it begins to thicken, continue to slowly drizzle the cannabis oil into the mixture while continuing to whisk quickly and constantly. The mixture will begin to thicken, but it will take
- Use immediately, or store leftover mayonnaise/aioli in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Use this in any recipe that calls for mayonnaise or spread it on your favorite sandwich. ENJOY!
Yield: 1 cup